This year, instead of asking Mom what she wants for Mother's Day, surprise her. Go into the kitchen, open the fridge and pantry, and make her something with your own two hands. Breakfast in bed is always appreciated — she does none of the work nor the cleanup and gets a healthy meal made with love. Is there a better meal? (No, there isn't.)
We have a few suggestions for what to whip up — they're all quick, easy, and vegan recipes. Just don't forget the handmade card!
Banana Oat Smoothie
All you need is a blender and five ingredients for this one. Garnish as you see fit, but we think a decorative straw is a great touch.
- 1 Banana
- 2 Tablespoons, peanut butter
- 1/2 Cup, oats
- 1 Tablespoon, agave syrup
- 1 Cup, Unsweetened Almondmilk (Toasted Oats & Almond Almondmilk would be great, too)
Combine all ingredients in blender and whir until all banana chunks and oats are blended thoroughly. Pour into a glass and garnish (optional).
Simplest Avocado Toast
If you're reading this in a panic because you forgot today was Mother's Day, 1) tsk tsk!; and 2) thank us later for having your back. Simply toast a slice or two of gluten-free bread (we used Ezekiel's sprouted whole wheat), spread with avocado, garnish with thinly sliced radish, and finish with sea salt. Mom will think you've been moonlighting as a brunch chef all these years.
- 2 slices, toasted gluten-free bread
- 1/2 avocado
- Radish, sliced thin
- Flaky sea salt
Vegan Breakfast Burrito
Breakfast burritos are comfort wrapped in a pillowy blanket. They go so organically with weekend mornings. Whip one of these up for mom, watch her open your handmade card, and bask in the knowledge that you made her day.
- One package, firm tofu, chopped to 1/4-inch wide cubes
- 4 whole white mushrooms, sliced thin
- 1 can black beans
- 1/4 red onion, minced
- 1/2 jalapeño, diced
- 1 avocado
- 1 handful, fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 lime, sliced in half
- 1 teaspoon, turmeric
- 1 teaspoon, ancho chile powder
- 1 teaspoon, cumin
- Large tortillas (optional)
1. Place tofu between sheets of paper towels and press between two plates with a little weight on the top plate. This should press most of the tofu's liquid out which helps crisp the edges of the tofu in the pan.
2. Sauté white mushrooms in 1 Tablespoon olive oil until they begin to shrink and brown around the edges. Transfer to a bowl.
3. In a big pan, sauté the pressed and cubed tofu in 3 Tablespoons olive oil and sprinkle in 1 teaspoon of turmeric, 1 teaspoon of ancho Chile powder, and 1 teaspoon of cumin. Toss to make sure spices cover all sides of the tofu. Cook on medium-high heat until slightly crispy around the edges (5-6 minutes). Transfer to a bowl and squeeze lime over top to taste.
4. Warm up the black beans (optional, we added ours at room temperature to great effect).
5. Put tortilla in a 400-degree oven for 2-3 minutes, until hot to the touch but not crisp at all.
6. Assemble and wrap burrito with any and all ingredients listed above. Jalapeños are optional if mom doesn't like spicy food, though as we write this, it tastes delicious to us.
**Additionally, if mom's gluten free, you can omit the tortilla and cook all ingredients together in a pan for a vegan scramble.
Throw it all together for a great presentation and treat mom to a relaxing morning where she does none of the work. Yes, that means you're doing the dishes, too.