Turmeric is the ultimate wonder root. In addition to the beneficial properties mentioned in the video above, this ancient, ayurvedic, natural, bioactive, anti-inflammatory root does even more. It definitely qualifies as a superfood 💪 in our book, despite what some may say.
Curcumin, the active ingredient in turmeric, is not only an anti-inflammatory, but also an antioxidant, and research has shown that it may also exhibit anti-cancer properties. But wait, there’s more! Whether you take it in pill form, ingest the root (many ways to do that), or use ground turmeric, there’s a subtly earthy, almost not-even-there flavor to it. So, unlike many supplements, it won’t cause you to make a 😖 face. Win-win.
As if that wasn’t good enough, turmeric’s effects are amplified when taken with black pepper, which contains piperine. This awesome alkaloid increases the amount of turmeric your body absorbs by up to 2000%. That kind of synergy is inspiring — think of all the possible uses!
Or don’t, because we’ve created a couple simple, go-to recipes below that you can use to your benefit any time you’d like. If you’re in a rush or just up for something simple, try our Ginger Almondmilk with turmeric.
Turmeric + Black Pepper Tea
- 1/2 teaspoon, sliced turmeric root
- 1/2 teaspoon, whole black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon tea leaves (we used black tea)
- Califia Farms Unsweetened Almondmilk
- Tea strainer
- Boil water and load your dry ingredients into the tea strainer.
- Put the tea strainer into your favorite mug and pour in boiling water.
- Finish with a splash of Califia Farms Unsweetened Almondmilk (Psst! any of our creamers taste great here, too).
Golden Recovery Smoothie
- 1 cup Califia Farms Unsweetened Almondmilk
- 1/2 cup, oats
- 1/2 cup, non-dairy yogurt (interchangeable with peanut butter)
- 1 teaspoon, ground turmeric
Combine ingredients in blender, blend, pour into glass, and enjoy. Easy, huh?